Likely Metformin Side Effects
There are many types of medicines that can have adverse effects on people just like metformin side effects; therefore, it is recommended for those who wish to take new drugs to consult their doctor or seek a prescription before taking a dose of any medicine. If, in any event, one experiences side effects, it is also encouraged to seek medical help as soon as possible so it does not escalate into a more serious condition. Results show the ratio of people that experienced the side effects and what were the usual ones that were displayed:
- Headache-5.7% of the subjects
- Abdominal discomfort- 6.1% of the subjects
- ndigestion- 7.1% of the subjects
- Weakness- 9.2% occurrence
- Gas-12.1% occurrence
- Nausea or vomiting-25.5%
- Diarrhea- 53.2%
In the case of Metformin, the side effects that are experienced are different and can usually be bore by patients. It can easily be treated by a physician or you yourself can remedy the side effects. In most cases, the metformin side effects do not cause any serious pain and do not need any treatment. In several laboratory experiments, Metformin and Metformin ER were taken by patients who were then evaluated for side effects. The evaluation was done by comparing the health status of the people who took the medicine to the people who did not.
It was also observed during the experiments that those who took metformin ER which was the long acting form experienced fewer adverse effects. 9.6% of the people who took the medicine particularly had diarrhea and 6.5% had nausea or had bouts of vomiting due to Metformin Side Effects. People who take medications are advised to consult their physician if they notice any side effects. Several side effects with metformin are as follows but not limited to:
- Signs and symptoms of lactic acidosis which show feelings of weakness, exhaustion, breathing problems, chills, muscle aches, stomach aches, dizziness, and irregular heartbeat. High blood sugar which is displayed through increase of thirst, hunger, urination, blurry eyesight, trouble breathing, fatigue, and nausea.
- Low blood sugar is also a noted side effect which is displayed through instability, excessive sweating, lightheadedness, cold sweats, extreme hunger, mood swings such as irritability, loss of limb coordination, confusion, speech difficulty, and seizures.
- Chest aches
- Allergic reactions shown as rashes on skin, itchiness of skin, wheezing, swelling
Few subjects of clinical studies displayed other side effects of metformin. However, experts are not certain if these side effects are really brought about by metformin because it was only noticed from 1 to 5 percent of people. The following side effects are as follows but not limited to:
Metformin Side Effects
- Breathing problems
- Muscle pain
- Taste alteration
- Excessive sweating
- Abnormal feces
- Symptoms resembling flu such as chills, muscle aches, exhaustion
- Nail problems
- Heart palpitations
These are some of the side effects that might be experienced from taking doses of metformin. If the above-mentioned effects are experienced and cause extreme discomfort, it is recommended to consult your doctor right away. More information regarding metformin side effects can be found on Drugs.Com.